London, United Kingdom
dugong /ˈduːgɒŋ,ˈdjuː-/ //noun// noun: dugong; plural noun: dugongs; plural noun: dugong //1. a sea cow found on the coasts of the Indian Ocean from eastern Africa to northern Australia. It is distinguished from the manatees by its forked tail.// 2013 saw this little Dugong migrate from the warm climes of Darwin, in the Northern Territory of Australia, to the more hostile climes on London. //2014 sees the Dugong take on the crazy challenge of the Tour de Force. 21 days, over 3,500km, one week ahead of the (other) pro cyclists in the Tour de France.// Join me in what will be a journey of crazy self discovery, on a bike.//

Sunday 29 June 2014

Stage 1: Leeds to Harrogate

The night before: 

With all the nerves of a first day at school (meeting 40 new people who you are going to be living in close confines with for three weeks) we sat down for a briefing with the sheepish looks of people who have done something very foolish.

My nerves at the beginning of the week could be seen pouring off me in cartoon style waves, but by Friday I thought they'd calmed down. Until I started shaking during the briefing.

Full of information I went to bed, and barely slept at all.

Stage 1: Leeds to Harrogate

A "flat" stage (with only 2500m of climbing, ha ha, anyone who's been to Yorkshire knows there is no flat!) and easy 200km ride (a distance I'd only ridden once before).

Great parts of the day:
- The first 40km, which was taken easy. No one can leave from the first stop until everyone leaves, so most people take it easy and you can chat to people you probably won't see all day (because they whizz off).
- Chatting to other crazy people who've signed up for this endeavour.
- The absolutely amazing scenery of Yorkshire.

The not so good bits:
- My quads/ITBs kind of gave up a bit. This was the first time I've actually been closer to pain instead of discomfort while exercising. Fortunately this event is amazing and luxurious. With a physio at each rest stop and the finish line I've been able to keep myself going.

BVS Update:
With my knees giving me bother I didn't have much time to feel discomfort anywhere else. I'm sure things will differ today, always the case after day 1 on the bike.

Sudocreme in the creases under the bum (those of you who are slimmer may not know what I'm talking about) and lashings of Vaseline everywhere else seems to have dine the trick. For now.

The daily grind:
The realities of the tour are setting in.  Arrival to the hotel at 7:15pm, dinner and briefing at 8pm (just enough time to shower and hand wash your clothes). A spot of physio and in bed by 10pm. Up at 5:30am, breakfast (or see how much food you can squeeze in your mouth) at 6am. On a bus at 6:30am for a 30min transfer to York to start it all again.

The important thing to remember: smile and have fun. It's all part if the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment