London, United Kingdom
dugong /ˈduːgɒŋ,ˈdjuː-/ //noun// noun: dugong; plural noun: dugongs; plural noun: dugong //1. a sea cow found on the coasts of the Indian Ocean from eastern Africa to northern Australia. It is distinguished from the manatees by its forked tail.// 2013 saw this little Dugong migrate from the warm climes of Darwin, in the Northern Territory of Australia, to the more hostile climes on London. //2014 sees the Dugong take on the crazy challenge of the Tour de Force. 21 days, over 3,500km, one week ahead of the (other) pro cyclists in the Tour de France.// Join me in what will be a journey of crazy self discovery, on a bike.//

Friday 4 July 2014

Stage 6: Arras - Reims

187.5km in 7:05! That's a 26.5km/hr average. It is amazing how much work gets done in a pace train and how enjoyable the day was.

This morning the alarm went off at 5:35am, as we had yet another (shorter) to the starting line. I was an absolute zombie, as the fatigue starts to pile on with the lack of sleep, before starting to gain the superpowers that come with your body giving up and just going with the flow. Me being rather quiet is not something that happens very often.

After two chocolate croissants, a cup of average coffee, a ham and cheese sandwich, and some muesli and yogurt (Boy, there is going to be some dieting after this! Loving chewing those calories up) it was time to jump on the bus for another 40 minute transfer.

The North of France Tour stages are those long stages that wind along the windy flat fields of wheat. Perfect for sitting in a pace line (chain gang, daisy chain, etc), sharing the work and chewing up the kilometres. I was fortunate enough to get in a great group. We had similar abilities and worked well together, having a chat, and generally having a great day.

The only problem I have is falling back on the hills, but fortunately my lovely group waited for me at the top of the hills, where I then caned it down and shot ahead.

One of the reasons I'm starting to feel better about this event is the realisation that most of the crazy bastards here have done some massive crazy feats before (desert motor bike racing, multi stage bike races, or just preparing for a round the world tandem bike ride) or have decades of cycling experience. Many if them are struggling through the day, so no wonder I'm feeling so challenged!!

Getting a touch up by the physios every 3-4 hours and a massage at the end of the day (10 minutes only, don't be greedy now!) is the difference between being functional and falling apart. The same problems that have affected me in the past are ricocheting around in an exaggerated fashion: broken right ankle (now not problematic), over compensating left leg, sore left lower back, tight right upper back. If this event doesn't get me onto the body maintenance wagon nothing will!

The benefit of getting in at a reasonable hour was that I could do the first non-bike related thing I've done this holiday, taking a stroll to the Reim cathedral (where all the French kings are buried). For a minute in the sunshine I could imagine I wasn't a masochist and I was just on a normal holiday!

But even though this holiday isn't normal, it's important to look up from the back wheel you are hanging onto for dear life! Looking as high as the backside in front of you (and there are lots of very good looking backsides) and sometimes the scenery!

BVS: Thankfully the BVS remains at bay. I continue to apply lashings of chamois cream, including a reapplication halfway through the day. The creases beneath the bum cheeks continue to be pretty tender, and my greatest concern. There are a number of riders sporting the double short combination, but I haven't had to go there yet.

French food update: France is indeed God's country (second only to Italy in my experience). Pain au Chocolat (x2), ham and cheese baguette, Nutella. That's just breakfast. The road side catering includes lovely cakes and French cheese.... And I'm smashing enough calories to partake in it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment