London, United Kingdom
dugong /ˈduːgɒŋ,ˈdjuː-/ //noun// noun: dugong; plural noun: dugongs; plural noun: dugong //1. a sea cow found on the coasts of the Indian Ocean from eastern Africa to northern Australia. It is distinguished from the manatees by its forked tail.// 2013 saw this little Dugong migrate from the warm climes of Darwin, in the Northern Territory of Australia, to the more hostile climes on London. //2014 sees the Dugong take on the crazy challenge of the Tour de Force. 21 days, over 3,500km, one week ahead of the (other) pro cyclists in the Tour de France.// Join me in what will be a journey of crazy self discovery, on a bike.//

Sunday 6 July 2014

Stage 7: Epernay to Nancy

After spending the first few days terrified that this 21 days of riding was going to be a nightmare, that I was not going to be able to punch through a wall to find some fun and enjoyment, and thinking that I'd been an absolute idiot to even try and attempt this thing the last four days have been amazing.

In the last week I have become an absolute freak (or more of one). This was another day of unknown territory, a 225km day (the official route will be 234.5km), and my seventh day of back to back riding. Who knew I could do either, or both?

I have a few heroes on this trip (whom I think of as domestiques when I'm delirious at various stages of the day). My two German friends Ivo and Ingo, who have watched out for me every day to make sure that I don't fall behind and help drag me back onto a group. Matt who has also helped me up a lot of hills even though he can easily mix it with the big boys when he wants to. Caroline who is a quieter achiever and workhorse who helped drag me up the last hill of the day. And so many other generous people who have included me in their groups.

I also have to thank the physios: Gavin and Claire, and the masseurs. Without their help I wouldn't have got through the first few stages, physically because my legs just would not switch on, and mentally because I was falling apart.

Mansplaining has been at an absolute minimum (which considering there are only about five women in a group of 60+ blokes in pretty amazing), also some has reached through, despite me almost physical force field of 'Don't Tell Me What To Do'.

So, the stage. It was 200km of flat riding, followed by two Category 4 climbs (4 being the lowest, 1 being the highest, topped by HC, which must stand for really f-ing hard in French of something). Oh, and flat riding doesn't mean flat. It means with "slight" rises that would be equivalent to the Cairns 70.3 bike course. I know it sounds like bullshit, but between have a feedstop every 40-50km to work towards and a group that you are holding onto with single minded determination the kms do just tick by.

BVS Update: During an evening toilet visit I had something of a panic attack when I thought I'd found a blister, but false alarm. The creases under my bum cheeks are continuing to make themselves known, and were the rest day not within reach I'd be more concerned. But 1/3 of the way through the days and kms (if nowhere near 1/3 through the climbing) I think that I will still be able to sit in a chair and have children one day.



No comments:

Post a Comment